Mustang Women’s Tennis Team Swept by No. 42 Kansas State
FRESNO, Calif. – No. 42 Kansas State failed to drop a set on Sunday afternoon as the Cal Poly women's tennis program was swept by the Wildcats in a neutral-site match hosted at Fresno State, 7-0.
The Wildcats (5-6) opened the match by sweeping the doubles points from Cal Poly. At No. 1, Cal Poly senior Alexa Lee and freshman Louise Oxnevad fell against the 32nd-ranked Kansas State pairing of Petra Niedermayerova and Karla Bonacic, 8-4. Mustang juniors Jen Cornea and Ane McPike (right) lost at No. 2 against Amina St. Hill and Ivana Kubickova, 8-5, while Cal Poly junior Gabrielle Gatewood and freshman Anna Klavins were bested at No. 3 by Carmen Borau Ramos and Ana Gomez Aleman, 8-0.
In singles action, Oxnevad was topped at the No. 1 position by the 15th-ranked Niedermayerova (6-2, 6-3) before Cornea fell at No. 2 against Bonacic (6-1, 6-1). Lee was stopped at No. 3 by Kubickova (6-3, 6-1) while McPike was halted at No. 4 by St. Hill (6-0, 6-1). At No. 5, Klavins pushed Borau Ramos during the second set before dropping a 6-0, 7-5 decision. Gomez Aleman won her match at No. 6 by default.
Cal Poly (3-12) enjoys a 12-day hiatus before hosting Portland on Friday, March 29. Match time on Mustang Courts is scheduled for 11 a.m.
No. 42 Kansas State 7, Cal Poly 0
Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center (Fresno, Calif.)
March 17, 2013
1. No. 32 Niedermayerova/Bonacic (KSU) def. Lee/Oxnevad (CP), 8-4
2. Kubickova/St. Hill (KSU) def. Cornea/McPike (CP), 8-5
3. Gomez Aleman/Borau Ramos (KSU) def. Klavins/Gatewood (CP), 8-0
1. No. 15 Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) def. Louise Oxnevad (CP), 6-2, 6-3
2. Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. Jen Cornea (CP), 6-1, 6-1
3. Ivana Kubickova (KSU) def. Alexa Lee (CP), 6-3, 6-1
4. Amina St. Hill (KSU) def. Ane McPike (CP), 6-0, 6-1
5. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) def. Anna Klavins (CP), 6-0, 7-5
6. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU), default