SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Senior Alexa Lee was leading her singles match and junior Ane McPike (right) was rallying during her bout, but both saw potential victories halted after Santa Clara had produced the minimum number of wins in a shortened 4-0 triumph against the Cal Poly women's tennis team at the Degheri Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon.
In doubles action, McPike and junior Jen Cornea fell at No. 1 against Katie Le and Jessica Agra, 8-2. Santa Clara then claimed the doubles points at No. 2 with Kelly Lamble and Maggie McGeorge besting Lee and junior Kathryn Webb, 7-6 (6). Due to an incomplete lineup, the No. 3 doubles match was not contested.
In singles play, the 25th-ranked Le topped Cornea at the No. 1 position, 6-3, 6-1. At No. 5, Mustang freshman Anna Klavins was swept by Santa Clara's Stephanie Skaras, 6-0, 6-0. The No. 6 singles match was not contested due to an incomplete Mustang lineup, providing Santa Clara victory.
In unfinished singles matches, Lee led her contest at No. 2 versus Lamble, 7-5, when play was halted. Webb trailed Santa Clara's Chelby Cook at No. 3, 6-3, 3-1. After dropping the first set at No. 4 versus Santa Clara's Delphine Rouvillois, McPike mounted a rally before seeing the match unfinished, 6-3, 0-2.
Cal Poly (2-7) continues its four-match road swing when visiting Big West Conference opponent UC Davis on Saturday, March 2. Match time is scheduled for 11 a.m.
Santa Clara 4, Cal Poly 0
Degheri Tennis Center (Santa Clara, Calif.)
Feb. 24, 2013
1. Le/Agra (SCU) def. Cornea/McPike (CP), 8-2
2. Lamble/McGeorge (SCU) def. Lee/Webb (CP), 7-6 (6)
3. Not Scheduled, Incomplete Lineup
1. No. 25 Katie Le (SCU) def. Jen Cornea (CP), 6-3, 6-1â€¨
2. Kelly Lamble (SCU) vs. Alexa Lee (CP), 5-7, unfinishedâ€¨
3. Chelby Cook (SCU) vs. Kathryn Webb (CP), 6-3, 3-1, unfinishedâ€¨
4. Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) vs. Ane McPike (CP), 6-3, 0-2, unfinished
5. Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Anna Klavins (CP), 6-0, 6-0
6. Not Scheduled, Incomplete Lineup