SAN FRANCISCO – The Cal Poly women's tennis program opened its Saturday afternoon match at San Francisco by claiming the doubles point, but the Dons returned to sweep all six singles matches as the Mustangs dropped a 6-1 decision inside Golden Gate Park.
Cal Poly opened play with the No. 1 doubles pairing of junior Alexa Lee (right) and freshman Louise Oxnevad posting an 8-4 triumph against San Francisco's Sofia Holmberg and Andrea Ka. An 8-5 victory by Mustang juniors Ane McPike and Jen Cornea at No. 2 against Milica Hadzi-Tanovic and Yurie Hashiguchi then clinched the doubles point. At No. 3, Cal Poly junior Kathryn Webb and freshman Anna Klavins dropped an 8-4 decision versus Brooke Irish and Marina Nikolic.
In singles competition, Ka topped Cornea at No. 1, 6-2, 6-2, before Holmberg slid past Oxnevad at No. 2, 7-6 (8-6), 6-4. Lee returned in singles action at No. 3 and won her opening set against Hadzi-Tanovic before falling, 6-7, 7-5, 10-7. Webb also rallied at No. 4 against Irish before being bested, 6-4, 5-7, 6-2. Nikolic rallied from an opening-set loss against McPike at No. 5 to post a 3-6, 6-2, 6-0 win before Hashiguchi rounded off San Francisco's victory with a 6-0, 6-3 triumph at No. 6 versus Klavins.
Cal Poly (2-6) continues its four-match road swing on Sunday, Feb. 24 against Santa Clara. Match time is set for 11 a.m.
San Francisco 6, Cal Poly 1
Golden Gate Park (San Francisco)
Feb. 23, 2013
1. Lee/Oxnevad (CP) def. Ka/Holmberg (USF), 8-4
2. Cornea/McPike (CP) def. Hashiguchi/Hadzi-Tanovic (USF), 8-5
3. Nikolic/Irish (USF) def. Webb/Klavins (CP), 8-4
1. Andrea Ka (USF) def. Jen Cornea (CP), 6-2, 6-2
2. Sofia Holmberg (USF) def. Louise Oxnevad (CP), 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
3. Milica Hadzi-Tanovic (USF) def. Alexa Lee (CP), 6-7, 7-5, 10-7
4. Brooke Irish (USF) def. Kathryn Webb (CP), 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
5. Marina Nikolic (USF) def. Ane McPike (CP), 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
6. Yurie Hashiguchi (USF) def. Anna Klavins (CP), 6-0, 6-3