Mustang Women’s Tennis Comes Up Short at No. 54 Hawai’i
HONOLULU, Hawaii – Junior Kathryn Webb and freshman Sophia Bott (right) both prevailed in singles action and two other Mustangs pushed their singles opponents to three sets, but the Cal Poly women's tennis team was ultimately trumped by No. 54 Hawai'i on Monday afternoon at the UH Tennis Complex, 5-2.
In doubles action, the Mustang junior tandem of Jen Cornea and Ane McPike prevailed for the second successive day when edging Hawai'i's Kelsey Daguio and Rebecca Faltusz, 9-8 (7-3). Cal Poly (1-2), however, dropped its remaining two doubles matches. At No. 1, Bott and junior Alexa Lee suffered an 8-4 defeat against Katarina Poljakova and Xenia Suworowa while, at No. 2, junior Gabrielle Gatewood and freshman Louise Oxnevad dropped an 8-5 matchup versus Martina Kostalova and Paulina Petriskova.
Oxnevad returned in singles action to battle Poljakova at the No. 1 position but fell, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3. At No. 2, Cornea also fought back to square her match against Kostalova before faltering, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1. Lee fell at No. 3 against Xenia Suworowa (6-4, 7-5), but Bott prevailed at No. 4 versus Petriskova (6-2, 6-1) and Webb roared back to top Daguio at No. 5 (2-6, 6-3, 6-3). Gatewood, however, was bested at No. 6 by Rebecca Faltusz, 7-6 (11-9), 6-0.
Cal Poly enjoys a 12-day hiatus before hosting San Jose State at Mustang Courts on Sunday, Feb. 3. Match time is scheduled for 11 a.m.
No. 54 Hawai'i 5, Cal Poly 2
UH Tennis Center (Honolulu)
Jan. 21, 2013
1. Poljakova/Suworowa (UH) def. Bott/Lee (CP), 8-4
2. Kostalova/Petriskova (UH) def. Gatewood/Oxnevad (CP), 8-5
3. Cornea/McPike (CP) def. Daguio/Faltusz (UH), 9-8 (7-3)
1. Katarina Poljakova (UH) def. Louise Oxnevad (CP), 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
2. Martina Kostalova (UH) def. Jennifer Cornea (CP), 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
3. Xenia Suworowa (UH) def. Alexa Lee (CP), 6-4, 7-5
4. Sophia Bott (CP) def. Paulina Petriskova (UH), 6-2, 6-1
5. Kathryn Webb (CP) def. Kelsey Daguio (UH), 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Rebecca Faltusz (UH) def. Gabrielle Gatewood (CP), 7-6 (11-9), 6-0