Mustang Women’s Tennis Edged by Dartmouth, 4-3
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – Junior Alexa Lee (above) and sophomore Gabby Gatewood prevailed in singles action and the Cal Poly women's tennis program captured the doubles point against Dartmouth Monday afternoon on Mustang Courts, but during a match in which each singles contest was played to five sets, the Mustangs dropped a 4-3 decision against the Big Green.
The Mustangs (7-7) earned the doubles point for the second-successive match beginning at No. 1, where Lee and senior Jocelyn Davis teamed to down Akiko Okuda and Theresa Smith, 8-2. The Mustang sophomore tandem of Ane McPike and Kathryn Webb fell at No. 2 against Rachel Decker-Sadowski and Janet Liu, 8-5, but Gabby Gatewood and Cal Poly freshman Ireen Kuipers secured the doubles point with an 8-5 victory at No. 3 against Jeri Reichel and Sabrina Stewart.
Lee returned in singles play to edge Leonard at the No. 1 spot, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2. However, Okuda topped Davis at No. 2 (7-5, 4-6, 7-5), Liu bested Mustang sophomore Jen Cornea at No. 3 (1-6, 6-4, 6-3) and Smith rallied to defeat Webb at No. 4 (6-4, 5-7, 6-0). Gatewood prevailed at No. 5 versus Stewart, 4-6, 7-5, 6-2, but Dartmouth secured the match win with a fourth singles victory as Decker-Sadowski slid past McPike at No. 6, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.
"It was a five-and-a-half hour match, long and heartbreaking when it came down to it," first-year Mustang head coach Damon Coupe said. "It was hard fought and we're disappointed to come out on the wrong side."
Cal Poly completes its three-match home stand when hosting UC Santa Barbara on Sunday, March 25. First serve on Mustang Courts is scheduled for 12 noon.
Dartmouth 4, Cal Poly 3
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
March 19, 2012
1. Alexa Lee (CP) def. Sarah Leonard (DU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
2. Akiko Okuda (DU) def. Jocelyn Davis (CP), 7-5, 4-6, 7-5
3. Janet Liu (DU) def. Jen Cornea (CP), 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Theresa Smith (DU) def. Kathryn Webb (CP), 6-4, 5-7, 6-0
5. Gabby Gatewood (CP) def. Sabrina Stewart (DU), 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
6. Rachel Decker-Sadowski (DU) def. Ane McPike (CP), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
1. Lee/Davis (CP) def. Okuda/Smith (DU), 8-2
2. Liu/Decker-Sadowski (DU) def. McPike/Webb (CP), 8-5
3. Gatewood/Kuipers (CP) def. Reichel/Stewart (DU), 8-5