No. 46 Mustang Women’s Tennis Falls at No. 4 UCLA
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – Facing a fourth-ranked UCLA program with a singles player and doubles pairing each rated among the top 12 nationally, the No. 46 Cal Poly women's tennis team suffered its first loss of the season on Saturday afternoon against the Bruins, 7-0.
Cal Poly's No. 1 doubles tandem of senior Jocelyn Davis and junior Alexa Lee (above) suffered its first loss of the season at the Los Angeles Tennis Center, dropping an 8-3 decision against 12th-ranked Robin Anderson and Skyler Morton. Sophomores Jen Cornea and Gabby Gatewood also lost for the first time in 2012 at No. 2 against McCall Jones and Pamela Montez, 8-4. UCLA finished the doubles sweep at No. 3 as Kaitlin Ray and Chanelle Van Nguyen produced an 8-3 defeat of Mustang sophomores Kathryn Webb and Ane McPike.
In singles action, Lee produced Cal Poly's lone set victory of the day before falling at No. 1 against the 62nd-ranked Jones, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2. The eighth-ranked Anderson swept Cornea at No. 2, 6-0, 6-0, before Montez returned to best Davis at No. 3, 6-1, 6-1. Gatewood dropped a 6-1, 6-3 decision at No. 4 versus Morton before Webb fell at No. 5 against Ray, 6-1, 6-4. At No. 6, Mustang freshman Ireen Kuipers dropped a 6-1, 6-1 decision against Van Nguyen.
"Today was a really good learning experience. After playing one of the top teams in the country, the girls truly believe that they can compete against the best," first-year Cal Poly head coach Damon Coupe said. "After the initial nerves, the girls swung away and played the way we've been training. Individually, Alexa played a close three-setter and we were impressed with how she competed and handled pressure."
Cal Poly returns to Mustang Courts to open a two-match home stand on Saturday, Feb. 11 versus San Jose State. First serve is set for 10 a.m.
No. 4 UCLA 7, No. 46 Cal Poly 0
Los Angeles Tennis Center
Feb. 4, 2012
1. No. 12 Anderson/Morton (UCLA) def. Davis/Lee (CP), 8-3
2. Jones/Montez (UCLA) def. Cornea/Gatewood (CP), 8-4
3. Ray/Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. McPike/Webb (CP), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. No. 62 McCall Jones (UCLA) def. Alexa Lee (CP), 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
2. No. 8 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. Jen Cornea (CP), 6-0, 6-0
3. Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. Jocelyn Davis (CP), 6-1, 6-1
4. Skylar Morton (UCLA) def. Gabby Gatewood (CP), 6-1, 6-3
5. Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Kathryn Webb (CP), 6-1, 6-4
6. Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Ireen Kuipers (CP), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 6, 3, 4, 5, 1